Senior Character Artist
We’re looking for a senior character artist who shows a passion for all aspects of 3D character creation, being able to demonstrate excellent creative, visual and technical skills in the end to end creation of 3D characters including modelling, texturing & shading to a high-quality finish whilst meeting schedule and technical requirements.
As a senior you’ll also need to support the Lead Character Artist in ensuring the overall Character Art requirements are met – to quality, schedule and vision – using knowledge of tool chain, assets and potential risks. Support and mentor more junior members of the team to ensure team goals are met.
- Under direction from creative leads, take an active role in realising visual and technical direction into high quality, technically sound, art content whilst meeting time restraints.
- Build, maintain and manage strong working relationships with both the Character Art team and other disciplines within the studio, ensuring clarity of vision is maintained across all teams and art content is on target throughout the process.
- Take an active part in team discussions offering advice and suggestions for improving the art quality of the characters, ensuring suggestions remain positive and constructive. Contribute to wider studio discussions at a senior level where appropriate ensuring the Character Art team is well-represented.
- Maintain a flexible working practice – showing the ability to adapt to various art styles and tools, and to take advice from other disciplines and members of the art team as required.
- Maintain an up-to-date awareness of the schedule for the Character Art team and the wider studio, ensuring time estimates for completion of own tasks are as accurate as possible.
- As a senior you’ll also take an active role alongside the Lead Character Artist in the initial planning of work (considering task/ assets, risk etc. Develop tool chains and pipelines where appropriate ensuring day-to-day tasks remain on schedule and to agreed quality.
- Act as a mentor to junior members, offering constructive advice where appropriate, assisting in prioritising, and supporting their development. Ensure own areas of expertise or experience are shared within the team. Remain up-to-date with current techniques and tools used in Character Art and ensure that an ethos of continual learning is encouraged within the team.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Demonstrable understanding of game development – likely to be gained from at least five years relevant experience.
- Artistic flare and talent – someone who will inspire us with their work and enthusiasm as well as demonstrate expert knowledge of the entire character art pipeline.
- Proven experience in both hard edge and low poly modelling for games, as well as understanding of topology (optimisation and deformation).
- Proven ability in creating realistic high-quality textures (and UV layout).
- Expert knowledge of Maya/Max, Zbrush, Photoshop and other 3D/2D applications.
- Ability to understand and translate concept art into a 3d model in any given art style.
- Exceptional understanding of anatomy, proportion, weight and rhythm.
- Understanding of materials and shader properties.
- Ability to work as a positive, collaborative, enthusiastic, ambitious and contributing team member with a real desire to be part of the team. The continued harmony of team work is paramount at Ninja Theory.
- A portfolio with samples of your work.
- At least one AAA game released
- Experience with handling and cleaning scan data
- Traditional art skills (drawing, sculpting, painting…)
- Unreal Engine Experience
- Substance Painter and/or Mari experience
- Marvellous designer experience
- Passion for games
This is a great opportunity to join a passionate, dedicated team working on some of the best IPs in the world. If you think you’ve got the right experience and would like to become part of the Ninja Theory team, please fill out our short application form [docx|pdf], as well as sending us your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’ll aim to get back to you with feedback as soon as possible after receiving your application. Please quote reference NT/SCA/OCT18 in the subject bar.